AWARDS / EDUCATION
B.Sc. (Honours Physics), 1964, University of BC
M.Sc. (Radio Astronomy), 1967
Ph.D.(Optical Astronomy), 1969, University of Toronto
Awards: Government of Canada Award of Excellence (1989); Outstanding Service Award (1995) of the IEEE GRSS, IEEE Fellow (1997); IEEE Third Millennium Medal (2000); Canadian Remote Sensing Society Gold Medal (2004), Distinguished Achievement Award (2006) of the IEEE GRSS, NRCan Departmental Merit Award (2007), NASA Group Achievement awards.
Chief Research Scientist
CURRENT S&T / RESEARCH
- Study leader, Methods and Systems for land information for sustainable development.
- Within project D-07-3, CFS Information Systems and Management, component leader for Methods and Systems – SAFORAH.
- Within project D-13-5, National Forest Information and Monitoring (NFIM), component leader for Methods and Systems – R&D on EO data, methods and missions.
- Forest applications team leader, CSA Hyperspectral User and Science Team.
- Forest applications team leader, CSA Radarsat Constellation Mission User and Science Team.
- Principal investigator, Development and Demonstration of Radarsat 2 Forestry Applications, CSA GRIP Project.
- Principal investigator of the European Space Agency (ESA) project Evaluation and Validation of CHRIS, (a new hyperspectral sensor for evaluating the BRDF of forests).
- Principal investigator, Connecting Canadians with EOSD (SAFORAH), CSA GRIP Project.
- Principal investigator, Publishing SAFORAH Thematic Data for Decision-Making in Sustainable Development of Canada’s Forests, GeoConnections Project.
- Wrote and presented the original proposal for the “Earth Observation for Sustainable Development of Forests (EOSD) project. Led the Automated Processing Research and Development team and SAFORAH (System of Agents for Forest Observation Research with Advanced Hierarchies) team.
- Administrative Committee Member, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society (IEEE GRSS) and past-president.
- Adjunct Professor of Computing Science (University of Victoria), leader of the Remote Sensing Software Engineering Group.
- Co-Investigator, Advanced Research Computing Facilities, University of Victoria, a CFI project led by Dr. R. Sobie of the Physics department.
- Collaborator with Canarie for high bandwidth connectivity and GRID computing.
- Former principal investigator of the NASA project Evaluation and Validation of EO-1 for Sustainable Development (EVEOSD). Supported by NRCan and CSA, this project developed hyperspectral methods for forest chemistry mapping, and evaluated the Advanced Land Imager (Landsat-8 prototype) for forest monitoring.
- Former principal investigator of the NASA project System of Experts for Intelligent Data Management (SEIDAM) which addressed the extraction of forest information from data from multiple aircraft and satellite sensors, multiple GIS, models, and the use of 120 interacting expert systems.
Advanced Forest Technologies (On-going)
Expertise Categories associated with this S&T Expert:Forests
- Date Modified: