Tri-Agency Grants Management Solution (TGMS) Initiative
The three federal granting agencies, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), have embarked on an initiative to modernize their grants management system to better support applicants, administrators and reviewers during the grants management lifecycle. Upon completion, a more harmonized and integrated approach will provide the research community and agency staff with a more efficient and user-friendly experience.
WHY IS A NEW SOLUTION NEEDED?
The agencies’ existing grants management operate on dated technology and are limited in their ability to adapt to the changing needs of both the research community and the agencies themselves.
- The current systems are complex and not well integrated, administratively burdensome and time-consuming to use, resulting in unsatisfactory user experience and inefficient processes.
- The technology that they are built on is out-of-date and is increasingly challenging to maintain and evolve. This rigidity impedes responsiveness to a changing research landscape and limits the ability of the agencies to collaborate on innovative programs.
- The data architecture is not well structured and too many unnecessary data fields create inefficiencies and impede data sharing and analysis. This approach to data makes it difficult to reuse information and analyze funded research.
WHAT WILL A NEW GRANTS MANAGEMENT SYSTEM ACCOMPLISH?
The TGMS Initiative will procure a user-centric solution to support the grants management lifecycle (i.e., from program design to end-of-grant reporting, which includes the function currently provided by the Canadian Common CV) to achieve the following business outcomes:
- Improved user experience for the research community and Tri-agency staff
- Improved effectiveness and collaboration
- Increased ability to acquire high-quality data and report on the research result
- Reduced risk of aging technologies, providing a strong foundation for the future
HOW CAN YOU BE INVOLVED?
As the initiative unfolds, we will consult early and often, through co-creation and co-design activities. You will be asked to participate in various engagement activities to define business needs, help guide change management activities, participate in client experience activities and prototyping.
If you would like to participate in our upcoming activities, please complete a short survey: https://bit.ly/2ZaMDQL
For more information, please email TGMS-SGSTO@cihr-irsc.gc.ca
- Date modified: